Vegetable oil 3 cups all purpose flour 1/2 cup light brown sugar 2 teaspoons baking powder 1 teaspoon cinnamon 1/2 teaspoon salt 1 large egg 1 cup milk 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted 2 cups finely chopped Golden Delicious apples 1/4 cup orange juice 2 teaspoons grated orange zest 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract Powdered sugar
1. Pour oil to a depth of 2 inches into a large Dutch oven or large heavy skillet.
2. Place over medium-high heat and bring oil to a temperature of 350°F.
3. Meanwile, in a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
4. Make a well in the center of the mixture.
5. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, and butter. Stir in the apples, orange juice, orange zest, and vanilla extract.
6. Add this mixture to the well in the flour mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
7. Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls into hot oil.
8. Fry 1 1/2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain fritters well on paper towels, and cool slightly.
9. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve warm.